This is our blog about the adventures and experiences of two Snyder kids as they serve missions, one in Mexico and one in Japan, for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. These are the weekly emails and pictures they send home.

Monday, October 20, 2014

Kelsey's first email and pics from the MTC!

HOLA HOLA HI HI HI!!!!!!!

Estoy en la CCM! This is crazy. I can't believe I've only been here for 5 days... it seems like 2 weeks! I'm hoping that these past few days have been the longest of my mission, because they were super long! I feel like I have so much to tell you and it's all crammed in my brain, so let's see how it comes out on paper.

The MTC is a lot. I didn't expect it to be this overwhelming! The language is definitely the hardest part. We had to teach a lesson to an "investigator" in Spanish on the second day, so that was pretty interesting, but it actually went way better that I thought. I could communicate way more than I was expecting, and even though there was a bit of a language barrier, I felt the Spirit very strongly. But yes, the whole "learning a new language" thing is super tough. I have no idea what English-speaking missionaries would be doing right now!

I'm in a trio with two hermanas who are amazing!!! I love them so much. Hna. Afualo (her first name is Alalamalae, which is pretty awesome) is a 22-year-old Samoan from Alaska. She is hilarious and I love her. She was originally my only comp, but something happened and one sister was moved out of my district and into the intermediate class, so we adopted Hna. Orison. She's from Cedar City and is a convert of about a year! How amazing! She is so adorable. I love having her. For Relief Society at the MTC, all of the sisters meet together and usually someone "big" from one of the General Boards comes to speak. Yesterday it was Linda S. Reeves, the 2nd Counselor in the General Relief Society Presidency. During her talk, she asked there were any converts of just about a year and Hna. Orison stood up, so Sister Reeves asked her to bear her testimony! It was so sweet and simple, in true Hna. Orison fashion. I love having her. So yes, my comps are amazing! They both took German in high school, so they're having a hard time with the Spanish, but they'll get it soon enough. 

I am studying harder than I ever have in my life. I think that's the reason time was seeming to pass by so slowly. I don't know how my comps felt about it, but I was pretty adamant about making good use of every second studying and studying and more studying. We've planned our days out so that every minute is useful. We are on the Lord's time! And I don't want to wait any longer than I have to to get good at the language! 

The Lord is helping me, though. I pray every day for the gift of tongues, and He is surely blessing me. I am picking things up fairly quickly and doing well in my class, so I'm looking forward with faith! 

Some other things... my district is great! Remember how I said that one of my EFY friends was leaving at the same time as me? Well he's in my district! Elder Poaletti. And the other Elders are great too. We have a great time together (there are 4 Elders and 2 Sisters). 

Also, last night for devo, Chad Lewis came to speak to us and told us of so many experiences with sharing the Gospel in the NFL. He is awesome. We can let our lights shine no matter our environment! 

All in all, I am enjoying the MTC! The Spirit is strong, and every time I testify, I can feel the truthfulness of the things I am saying. I love the Gospel! It is seriously the best! Life is a little hard right now, but that doesn't mean it's not also the best. :)

Con mucho amor,
Hna. Snyder






No comments:

Post a Comment