This is our blog about the adventures and experiences of two Snyder kids as they serve missions, one in Mexico and one in Japan, for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. These are the weekly emails and pictures they send home.

Monday, February 16, 2015

"I am so happy!"



Happy P-day! Before I start in on anything, I have an update on Mexican culture. Once a year (I don't know if this is all Mexico or just here in Puebla), the have Carnival. It's pretty crazy. Everyone rents out these costumes that are all different colors - long, heavy skirts, button-down shirt, a cowboy hat, and masks. They'd be okay if it wasn't for the mask, which covers all of their face and has fringes on the bottom like a beard. They gather in the streets with their little music bands and dance and whip these long ropes super loud. And later (I haven't seen this yet), apparently they all gather in a circle, dancing, WHILE THEY DE-HEAD LIVE CHICKENS. It scares me a little bit. But that's Mexico for ya. Gotta love it. I'll send you some pictures next week if I can snap some without blatantly looking like a tourist.

Anyway...

It's been the best week to be a missionary!!! Two baptisms this week! On Thursday we baptized A., the daughter of two pastors... EN EL RIO. It was the most amazing baptism I have ever seen! It was on Thursday, which was absolutely beautiful here in Huauchi. When we got to the chapel, the font wasn't full so we decided to head on down to the river. One of the members who just happened to come to the baptism has a teeny tiny little pickup truck and we had like 10 people piled in the back descending a huge mountain to get to the river. It was hilariously, scarily fantastic. A. was 125% willing to do it in the river - she didn't care where as long as she would be baptized that day. Even thought the water was super cold, she hopped right on in. Afterwards, she bore her testimony. I sang "Donde halla el solaz" a capella. It was the best baptism of this dispensation, except Joseph Smith. Maybe.

And then yesterday we baptized P., the 19-year-old mom of 2! She is so young but has so many responsiblities. She has her daughters, her husband, her internet shop, and is just trying to do her best. We have been teaching her since my first week in the field, and so yesterday was so special. Many members came to support her in her decision to be baptized, and E., a recent convert, performed the ordinance! Hna. Z and I sang "Asombro me da" and everything was so perfect. She was so happy. 

AND I AM SO HAPPY!

Today is the last day of my training, what?! And tomorrow, I am going to have a new companion. Yep, Hermana Z. is getting shipped out. I definitely have mixed feelings about that - the fact that I am going to be directing the area and that my "mamà" isn't going to be here by my side. I'm a little nervous, but excited for new experiences. As I finish up my 12 weeks of training, I think about all of the many things I have learned in the past 3 months. I can't put into words everything that I have experienced and all I have learned. I am so grateful to have had Hna. Z. as my trainer; she is incredible. She is truly a consecrated missionary. Together, we are like (in the words of Hna. Z) "fuego". I have learned how to teach by the Spirit, but more, I have learned to live by the Spirit. Yesterday, I was preparing for the day, doing the mundane things, but I was just so happy! I thought, "I can feel the Spirit right now." And it's true. I am so grateful to have learned to recognize and teach by and help others recognize the Spirit so early in my mission.

That's about it for the week! Next week it should be interesting to see how things are going with the new comp, but I know that everything done here in the mission by Presidente is the will of God. Love you all so much! Have the best week ever!

The best baptism in the world and the best members in the world!!




The cute little countdown banner we made for P. for the days leading up to her baptism.

Beautiful little family!

No comments:

Post a Comment