This is our blog about the adventures and experiences of two Snyder kids as they serve missions, one in Mexico and one in Japan, for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. These are the weekly emails and pictures they send home.

Monday, April 13, 2015

Victor is the bayyyst!

Hola familia! It is currently storming, so that's fun! Last night it was really storming, too. I can't lie, I was a little scared! Thunder and lightning and all the works... So we ran into the house of a member to get out of the storm (and taught a very uplifting lesson of course:). But that's Huauchi in a nutshell! 2 hours ago it was blazing hot. You never know what to expect here! 

Good news, WE BAPTIZED VICTOR!!!!!!! Whoooooo! I am so happy. He is the best. The bayyyyyyst. His conversion has been a little long and little rocky, but we made it! And he is so happy. As you know, the story of how we found Victor is a miracle. One night, we found him with 3 friends in the street, talking and listening to music. We took down their addresses but Victor's was pretty vague and we didn't really have toooo many intentions of going to search for him. One day, a week or 2 later, we decided to go discover a new colony that we had never gone to - Valle Fenix. We didn't knock any doors, except for one. A rough-looking old guy opened up and told us we was not interested. Okay. We were about to leave, but Hermana Zenteno saw someone on the 3rd floor washing his dishes - Victor. She asked the old guy if we could talk to him and he basically said, "Sure, he's my nephew... Have at it." And thus began the story of Victor! We began teaching him and quickly realized that he is so special. He has the noblest of hearts and the purest of intentions. We could feel the Spirit in every lesson and he was keeping all of his committments. But with time, we began to run into some stumbling blocks. Turns out he had a girlfriend that was married with 5 kids. And for a while he lost all desires to go to church and read the Book of Mormon. It seems that Satan was really working in his life. We thought about and prayed for him, and Hermana Sosa had pretty much given up on him. But I couldn't let him go! I have always felt that there was something different about him, and that the Lord has many blessings in store for him, and so I was stubborn and wouldn't let him go! So we kept on visiting him, and with time, he began to change. He started to read the Book of Mormon every day and totally dropped his girlfriend. He began to go to church every Sunday and accepted everything we taught with complete faith. In one lesson, he began to cry... He said, "Thank you for never leaving. I know that I haven't always been the person that I know I should have been or done everything that you asked me to do, and so I thank you for never leaving. You really believed in me. I want to be part of your family; you are different." And now, Victor is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints! I am so happy!!! And what is even better is that HE is so happy! I just know that the Lord has been waiting to shower him with blessings from on High! :)

So that's the big news this week. I don't even know what else to write! Victor's baptism was definitely the highlight. I had exchanges with Sister Training Leader Hermana Riding this week. She's super cute. Actually, she's the mama of Hermana Sosa (her trainer)! That's pretty crazy! It's a small missionary world! 

This week I feel like I have learned a lot. I am learning more about my companion every day and how strong she has had to be in her conversion. None of her family is active in the church. Her mom and some of her siblings and super less-active and her dad isn't a member. In fact, her parents aren't even married; her mom got baptized while they were separated for a little bit. I guess I never realized the huge affect that her childhood and youth have had on her personality and emotions. This week, for different reasons, I really realized that I have been faltering in many aspects of this companionship. My sweet little companion needs a lot of love and support, and I don't think that I have been giving her enough of either. I feel like this week in the mission has changed my life - it has shown me many of my flaws and the ways in which I must change. Although sometimes it is painful, it is necessary, and really I am grateful. I am thankful for this companionship and all that I am learning with Hermana Sosa.

Well, that's all I got in this ol' head of mine! I love you and so happy to be a missionary! Thanks for all your prayers and support and love. You're my faves!!! 

Con todo mi amor,
Hermana Snyder




No comments:

Post a Comment