This is our blog about the adventures and experiences of two Snyder kids as they serve missions, one in Mexico and one in Japan, for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. These are the weekly emails and pictures they send home.

Monday, July 13, 2015

(Hermana S.) Some things I've learned


Hello familia! ¿Como están? Creo que sería más fácil escribir en español pero les amo entonces aquí está en inglés. :)

It's been a good week in Actopan! We've been able to find some very awesome new investigators, and Judith, Griselda, and the rest are still as awesome as ever. Ok, actually maybe a little less awesome  because no one came to church yesterday. Sometimes it's hard to be a missionary, ya know? We went to four different houses yesterday before church to pick up our investigators to no avail. Only Judith opened the door and she said she got food poisoning so she couldn't go. Food poisoning? Really? Not a good reason to skip church... hahaha. That's a joke. I understand Judith, but the other 10 or so? Sometimes I just have to take a few deep breaths, remember that I have to set a good example for Hermana Cevallos, and keep on keeping on! The good news is that yesterday a less-active family that we are teaching who have been members for 20 years and sealed in the temple, went. Happy for that. Glass half-full, right?

Before I forget, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MOM!!!!!!!  You are my favorite mom ever!!! I love you so very much. You're such a great example of sweetness and kindness, always caring about the feelings of others before yourself. So selfless and hardworking. I love to tell people about you are the incredible person that you are. You're the bayyyyyst.

 This week, I finish up half of my mission. 9 months from tomorrow, I'll be on a plane to PA. That's SO WEIRD. I can't even think about it. Today, I don't know if I'm feeling nostalgic or what, but I'd like to tell you about some of the things I have learned in these 9 months. 

1. Humility. It's the source of all other Christlike attributes. If we aren't humble, we can't have faith or charity or be obedient. It's so much more than following your leaders and not talking back to those who hurt you. It's a way of being. True humility starts from our hearts, moves to our thoughts, and comes out in actions. It's being genuine and not wanting to impress others but wanting to live true to the Lord. I have a long way to go with true humility.
2. Obedience. Not because we want blessings, but because we love the Lord. The Lord knows that 3 minutes aren't very many minutes, but 3 minutes show whether we are willing to obey because we think we should be obedient, or if we obey with exactness because we love Him with all of our hearts. We should pray for the desire to be exactly obedient so that we can change our nature to be more like the Savior. If we do, and with time and practice, the Lord through His great enabling power will change our hearts so that we "have no more desire to do evil, but to do good continually."
3. Charity. It's the pure love of Christ towards all men. Charity doesn't need to ask what's wrong. It sees a troubled heart and acts immediately, without judgement. It doesn't matter why. Charity doesn't think "Aw, well he brought it upon himself!" or "It's really all in her head." Charity soothes the worried mind and cheers the sorrowed heart. It remembers our baptismal covenants to "mourn with those that mourn and comfort those that stand in need of comfort."

I love the mission. I love the Gospel. I love the Savior. He is the perfect example. I have so very far to go. I can only pray for forgiveness and His divine help to make me into the person that He needs me to be. May we all be painfully aware of ourselves and continue on the path to become who He wants us to be!

Looooooooooooooove,
Hermana Snyder  

No comments:

Post a Comment