This is our blog about the adventures and experiences of two Snyder kids as they serve missions, one in Mexico and one in Japan, for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. These are the weekly emails and pictures they send home.

Monday, December 1, 2014

"HOLA! I'm in Mexico!"

Wowzers! It's been forever since I've talked to you! Yes, I am here safe and sound in good old Mexico! Where to start, where to start...

Okay. So day one, I flew in to Mexico City. Holy moly that city is huge! I've never seen a city sprawl out for so long. It's crazy. I got to meet the Egberts, who are totally awesome. They are so great. President Egbert is the best combo of friendly and drill-sarg. Haha. He said that yes, the missionaries in this mission are happy, but they are happy because they work their tails off. And it's true. Just from reading the mission binder and being around President Egbert, I can see that he runs a tight ship, and exact obedience is expected. In this mission, you better work your buns off for 18 months or 2 years, no questions. 

So that's great! Haha. I'm looking forward to it. :) My first area is called Hauchinanga. It is about 3 hours from Pachuca by bus (pretty much everyone in Mexico gets around by bus). Annnnd we're kind of in the middle of nowhere. Pretty much in the forest. It's great! But it's still a pretty big city, not too primitive for Mexico.

When I say "for Mexico"... it's like a different world here. I definitely went through, and am going through, a bit of culture shock. The houses are different, the food is different, the people are different. Pretty much everything is different. It's definitely an adjustment that I am having to make, but the Lord is helping me through it.

On my first walk down the streets of Mexico, I stepped in a nice fresh pile of dog poop (there are dogs everywhere! On the streets, on the roofs... everywhere)! So that set the tone of how different things are here. The one thing that is not different is the church, which is such a blessing to me. The members are the best part of my mission so far. Every single member is incredible and so kind and welcoming. The bishop in the ward is so great, and I am so grateful for the familiar feeling that I get every time I walk into a chapel, anywhere in the world. Remember when I was little and would ask "Is it Church Day?!" every day? I still feel the same way. I love the way going to church makes me feel. 

And... yes! We're teaching people! The people of Mexico are incredibly friendly and kind, so a lot of people let us teach them. But, there are way less who are willing to go to church and even less who are willing to make changes in their lives. But... we're prepping for a baptism! Hermana Gaby (who I love and she loves me), is set to be baptized on Dec. 20! I am so happy for her and already see the light that the gospel is bringing into her life. 

My first night, a miracle happened. Hna. Zenteno (my trainer) and her previous companion had found a lady named Joselyn before I arrived. They gave her a Book of Mormon, but unfortunately were not able to find her afterward. They called and called and searched for her with no luck. My first night here, we stopped at a little tienda to buy a loaf of bread for the next morning, and guess who was there waiting outside? Yes, Joselyn. She told us that night that she had read 1 Nephi through Mosiah. !!!!!!!! As you can imagine, it was incredible. Miracles. Confirmation that this is the Lord's work. And, she is loving what we are teaching her. So great!

And last night we found a family! I can see that they are ready and prepared to hear the message of the restored gospel!

We have tons of other investigators... not enough time!

My companion is Hna. Zenteno from Puebla, Mexico, only about 3 hours from Hauchinango! Crazy! But she is great... Clearly, she must be because I am here fourth "greenie." She works super hard and is a great example of boldness and love. She is understanding of any problems that I might be having and always tries to help. She is great.

So, yes! Mexico! I felt my first twinges of homesickness on Wednesday, and I don't want to talk about it because I am trying my best to forget about it. But just know that I love you so much and am realizing how truly incredible my upbringing was. I have the best life and the best eternal family ever. For all I have been given, I know this 18 months is the LEAST I can do for the Lord. I have a strong testimony that this is where I need to be right now, no matter how I am feeling. I am so grateful for your prayers and love and support. YOU ARE MY FAVORITE PEOPLE IN THE WORLD!!!!!!! LOVE YOU SO MUCH!

Con mucho mucho muchisimo amor,
Hna. Snyder

Week 5 in the MTC:

And our 6th and final week!

The view from my shower in Mexico:

It gets super foggy here in Hauchinango:

My nice little area:

You better believe that I'm the only gringa within a 10 mile radius:

Delicious Mexican food:

Me and Hna. Zenteno with our Arbol de Navidad!

2 comments:

  1. Hola Kelsey!! Glad to hear all is well!! Easy on the re-fried beans......it could be bad? ;) hugs to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She looks great, we will pray for no more twinges of home sickness!

    ReplyDelete