This is our blog about the adventures and experiences of two Snyder kids as they serve missions, one in Mexico and one in Japan, for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. These are the weekly emails and pictures they send home.

Monday, December 22, 2014

Christmas week!

Well another week has come and gone in the great country of Mexico! And another week closer to Christmas! Yeehaw! Christmas is huge down here. EVERYONE has lights and decorations and they have humongous fiestas the whole week leading up to the 24th. Then on the night of the 24th they have a midnight dinner! How fun, right? So their Christmas is pretty much the 24th, not the 25th. It's weird but great and I want to experience a Mexican Christmas with my family at some point in my life. :) 

Speaking of fiestas, I cannot put into words how great they are. I've only been to one, and it was pretty tame because it was the Ward Christmas Activity, but all I can say is: imagine a stereotypical Mexican fiesta and multiply that by 50. Numberless piñatas filled with chile-covered candy, blaring music, lots of Mexican food... it's great. We also had our mission Christmas Devotional in Pachuca on Friday, which was great. I got to eat some American-ish food, which made me happy! Definitely not even remotely comparable to our Christmas feast, but it was good for Meixco. :) The theme for the devotional was "What Lack I Yet?" from Matthew 19, the story of the rich young man. It made me do an evalution of myself, and it became more apparent than ever that I lack so many qualities that the Savior so perfectly exemplifies. This Christmas season and this new year, ponder on the things that you can change and improve upon in order to become more like the One who we are celebrating.

I have a few random things that I want to write, so forgive me if this is not as flowy and literarily genius as you would like.

1. Funny story: Remember how I said that I made haluski last week? Well we had some left over, along with some left over noodles and cabbage in non-halsuki form. We decided to give it to a member, Hermana Caro on our way home. We dropped by her house the next day for some reason and guess what they were eating? Yep, haluski! She used the uncooked noodles and cabbage to imitate the leftovers we had given her. HAHA! PA Dutch has made it to Mexico! I think I am going to have to make gobs soon...

2. I would just like to say that I think the bishop here in Hauchinango is one of the greatest people I have ever met. He gives everything he has and all his efforts to this ward. He is so great. 

3. I had the opportunity to play the piano for about 5 musical numbers in one day - first in the mission devotional and then at the ward Christmas activity. Everyone here thinks I am Mozart, so that is pretty funny. Also, Mexicans cannot sing, which is also funny.

4. I ate two interesting things this week: intestines (okay it was literally just a speck but it still counts) and a beet dessert. I like beets as much as the next person but beets and jicama in beet juice with peanuts on top just isn't my cup of tea. While my companion asked for a second cup and they went into the kitchen, I ran to the bathroom and dumped the beet juice down the drain. No one suspected a thing. ;)

5. I received a rose from an old man. Everyone here thinks I am so "guapa," which is very interesting. If only the Americans thought the same!

6. I GET TO SKYPE YOU THIS WEEK!!!!!

7. Send me more pictures! 

8. I didn't bring any Christmas music other than Celtic Women Christmas to Mexico, so we've basically been listening to the same 15 songs every day for the past month. I think I'm gonna be a Celtic Woman before too long if we keep this up.

And that's about it! We are teaching a few families and we have a bunch of baptisms lined up for January! Yay! In our mission, in order to encourage lasting membership, investigators must go to church 5 times before baptism! That's a lot! So we are working hard to get our investigators to church. It's hard sometimes because a lot of them don't have cars, but they make sacrifices when they know that this is the truth. I know it too! Have the best Christmas ever! My heart is with you!

Love,
Hermana Snyder

 Arbol de la Navidad :)


 My best piñata swing:


 This one's for Dad! Sometimes cows walk in the street here and it reminds me of him every time. :)


 And another pic of me and our beloved arbol:



No comments:

Post a Comment