This is our blog about the adventures and experiences of two Snyder kids as they serve missions, one in Mexico and one in Japan, for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. These are the weekly emails and pictures they send home.

Monday, December 8, 2014

He is the Gift

Well, another week has passed in the great country of Mexico! Thanks to everyone who has sent me emails; even if I can't reply much or at all, they mean so much to me. I guess I will begin my answering the most frequently asked question - how is Mexico?!

Mexico is great. It is different than America in so many ways, but that is part of what makes is beautiful. Right now, the weather in Hauchinango is great (considering it is December 8). It is nice in during the day and gets cold during the night. You can check the weather if you really want to know! The one thing is that it's really humid here in Hauchi... it's not hot now so I don't notice much, but my hair is LOCO! Haha. The houses are all small - way smaller than a small house in America. No carpet. No hot water (except for when you turn the boiler on). All made of cement. And of every color imaginable. Haha. We travel by foot or by bus. The drivers are stinking crazy! Bus drivers, car drivers, taxi drivers - all of them. There are no traffic police so they just have these nice speed bumps in the road every so often. Makes for a smooth ride! The language is coming along... I can talk pretty well and definitely communicate what I am thinking, but understand probably less than 50%. Nevertheless, it's coming along! And I can hold a conversation with anyone. And..... the FOOD! The food here is delicious. Need I say more? Tortillas at every meal. We got tacos, we got chalupas, we got tortas. Honestly, everything it so good. The one thing I am not a fan of is cactus, which I have had twice, but I can't complain! The food is delicious!

The work is going pretty well too. We work our tails off every day. We contact references, knock doors, and teach many lessons every day. We don't have time to be disobedient or think about other things. We have a goal of "hablar con todo" every day - 10. That means that every day, we approach at least 10 people in the bus, on the street... anywhere. And try to set up an appointment to teach a lesson. Everyone is so nice, but we are having problems with people not keeping committments. Such as Sunday - we were supposed to have like 7 people at church but only 1 showed up. We are going to work harder this week on making sure people know our purpose, and that the Lord expects them to do more than just listen to us.

So here's an update on some of our investigators! Gaby, who had a baptismal date for the 20th, texted us the other day and said she has too many problems in her life and is not going to be baptized. Now, every time we go try to visit her, she "isn't home." Prayers for her would be greatly appreciated. Joselyn, the one who we found my first night in Mexico, who had read through Mosiah, is receptive to everything, but lives with the father of her 2 children and is not married. Her boyfriend is not open to us, but the work cannot progress unless they get married or stop living together. Also, prayers.

But here's the good news! Paola came to church on Sunday with her two little girls! She receives everything so well and fulfills her committments. And, she is looking for a way to better her family! She is GOLDEN! I can see how the Gospel can bless her family and am looking forward with faith to the day that she will be baptized. :) Also, we are working on the reactivation of Franco, who is a former branch president! Unfortunately, about 4 years ago, someone in the branch falsely accused him of something and he was not able to enter the temple one day. Since then, he has become inactive. But we are working on resolving his problems. He is such an amazing person with a kind, wonderful spirit. I can't wait for him to come back and re-develop a love for the covenants he has made. 

So, those are some of our main people! I want to express how incredible it has been for me to be able to testify of the way the Gospel of Jesus Christ has blessed my family. I can truly say that I am who I am because of my family, and my family is what it is because of the Gospel. Every day, I get to say "I know this message will bless your family because it has blessed mine." And each time, I testify with all of my heart. I am so grateful for my family and the eternal truths I was taught as a young child that are now an integral part of who I am and what I know.

And finally, I will close with the MIRACLE of the week! The other day, Hermana Z. forgot her jacket in Paola's tienda, which was fine until we got home that night and realized that our keys were in the pocket. Great. So, an old neighbor who lives above us let us in the main door. But, we had no idea how we were going to enter our apartment. So, we got on our knees and prayed that Heavenly Father would let us know how to get into our house. Hna. Z tried and tried to pry it open with her plaque for 10 minutes to no avail. I was just praying and praying that somehow, we would be able to get in. When she gave up, I reached into my bag and took out 4 "El es la Dadiva" cards that we give out each day. I shoved them behind the lock and CLICK. The door opened. It was a miracle. I can't explain how 4 little cards physically opened that locked door, but I do know that God is so mindful of us. 

El es the Dadiva. He is the Gift. The Church is making a huge campaign of this sentence as Christmas is approaching. As I close my letter, I leave with you my testimony that He is the Gift. Jesus Christ is everything to me. He strengthens me and enables me every day. When I think I can't go on one more minute, he helps me and I instantly remember the reason I am here. It is because of Him. I loved watching the Christmas Devotional last night and was so struck by the words of Sister Oscarson and Elder Christofferson. He came into this world as child, in the most humble of circumstances. He grew. In took time. And then, He endured all for us. We too often take time to grow. And we too must descend below some things in order to become more like the one who descended below all things. Oh how grateful I am for the Savior, who is truly the Gift. This Christmas season, share the Gift with everyone you know. 

Love you all so much! Have a great week!

Con todo mi corazon,
Hna. Snyder
The chapel.  Beautiful, right?!

A view of my town:

I was told I look like this doll.  Whattaya think?:





No comments:

Post a Comment